Losing weight is not just about what you eat—it’s also about what you drink. Not only is the humble glass of water a no-calorie, healthful and free beverage, it may also help you in your efforts to slim down.
How much water should you drink?
Proper hydration is an important part of the Ideal Protein Protocol and during Phase 1. You should be drinking a minimum of 64 ounces (1.9 liters) per day. As everyone is different, health experts say you should consider a range of factors including age, activity level, body size, temperature and humidity, health issues, and sun exposure when determining how much to drink per day.
Ways water may help you lose
The first and most obvious way drinking water can help you lose weight is by reducing the number of liquid calories you take in. Swap water for a soda, sugary coffee drinks, or juice and you’ll automatically ingest fewer calories and less sugar. One study found that this simple substitution resulted in average weight losses of 2 to 2.5 percent. If you don’t enjoy plain water, we encourage you to try one of Ideal Protein’s Flavored Water Enhancers or Drinks to help make it a bit more appetizing.
Drinking water helps you feel full, which can help you to eat less. Simply put, water takes up space in your stomach. Drink a glass of water before each meal, and you may take in fewer calories than you normally would.
Since the symptoms of mild dehydration sometimes masquerade as hunger, drinking water may keep you from eating snacks your body doesn’t need. If you’re feeling head-achy, cranky, or are having trouble concentrating, you may be tempted to eat when you’re really thirsty. Sip some water instead of eating unnecessary calories.
Water is essential to keep your metabolism humming smoothly. Your body needs water for just about every function, from burning fat, to digestion and absorption of nutrients, to flushing toxins through sweat, urine, and bowel movements. Proper water intake helps keep you from becoming constipated as you make dietary changes, particularly as you start eating more fiber-rich foods like vegetables in Phase 1. You’ll feel better, lighter and less bloated when your body’s processes are working smoothly.
Proper hydration makes exercise easier and more effective. Among other things, water keeps muscles and joints lubricated so you can work out more comfortably and longer. Not drinking enough water can also affect athletic performance and/or cause muscle cramping, especially during the hot days of summer.
Make staying well-hydrated one of your new healthy habits. Spread your water intake throughout the day, and don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink. Here are some suggestions to help you drink more:
- Drink water with each meal
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you
- Keep a glass of water at your desk
- Flavor plain water with one of Ideal Protein’s Flavored Water Enhancers
- Eat more water-rich foods such as soups, vegetables like lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes, or sip an Ideal Protein smoothie or drink mix—we have many tasty flavors that include everything from peach mango to cappuccino
- Drink as soon as you wake up
- Drink before, during, and after exercise
- Remind yourself to drink more water—stick a note on your computer, set an alarm on your phone, etc.
- Prepare and freeze water bottles the night before so you’ll have ice cold water to drink throughout the day
- Try carbonated water or calorie/sugar-free flavored seltzers
Drinking water is not a magic cure for losing weight, but it can certainly be a simple, inexpensive, and helpful part of your weight loss plan.